Prague Top 5 for History buffs
Lenka Rogerova, Director of Communications at Mandarin Oriental, Prague tells us about the must visits for History lovers
THE PRINCELY COLLECTIONS, LOBKOWICZ PALACE AT PRAGUE CASTLE Certain to become enormously popular, but for now, only the cognoscenti know about the place. This extensive palace (incidentally the only privately owned building within the Prague Castle complex, which is otherwise entirely government-owned) houses a collection of art, antiques, and arms drawn from centuries-old collections of the Lobkowicz noble family.
Certain to become enormously popular, but for now, only the cognoscenti know about the place. This extensive palace (incidentally the only privately owned building within the Prague Castle complex, which is otherwise entirely government-owned) houses a collection of art, antiques, and arms drawn from centuries-old collections of the Lobkowicz noble family.
HOUSE OF THE BACK MADONNA
Dating from 1912, Josef Gočár’s House of the Black Madonna is Prague’s first and finest example of cubist architecture. It used to house three floors of remarkable cubist paintings and sculpture, as well as furniture, ceramics and glassware in cubist designs. The exhibition was moved now to Trade Fair Palace. Prague is unique for the cubism architecture, famous cubism villas can also be found below Vyšehrad.
Nothing can beat a walk through the Charles Bridge in the evening. Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. had the Charles Bridge built there in the 14th century. He laid down the foundation stone on 9 th of July 1357, at 5:31 a.m. It is no coincidence: this date was carefully chosen, because it makes an interesting numerical scale. When it is written in the chronology the year – the day – the month – the time, it makes a scale, going upwards and then downwards: 1 3 5 7 9 7 5 3 1. It is not the only one “magical” circumstance of building the Charles Bridge. You can see all of them in a movie, screened in the Old Town Bridge Tower.
Loreta is a Marian pilgrimage site with the Baroque Church of the Nativity and a replica of the Holy House and is surrounded by cloisters and chapels. In the tower there is a 27-bell carillon that plays the Loretan Marian song "A Thousand Times We Greet Thee" (every hour from 9 am to 6 pm). The Loreto treasure consists of a rare collection of liturgical objects from the 16th to 18th centuries, the most famous of which is the "Prague Sun", a monstrance encrusted with 6,222 diamonds.
It was named after the emperor Josef II, whose reforms helped to ease living conditions for the Jewish, the Jewish Quarter contains the remains of Prague's former Jewish ghetto. Fortunately, most of the significant historical buildings were saved from destruction, and today they remain a testimony to the history of the Jews in Prague. They form the best preserved complex of historical Jewish monuments in the whole of Europe. There are two figures connected to Jewish Quarter, Franz Kafka (1883 – 1924) and the mystical humunculus Golem created by Jehuda ben Bezalel, also known as Rabi Löw.